Colonel John MolloyPrint Page
Monument erected in memory of Colonel John Molloy.
On arriving with his wife at the Swan River Colony in March 1830, Molloy was advised by Governor Stirling that the best land in the area had already been granted. Stirling suggested instead that the Molloys join with some other newly arrived settlers in forming a subcolony in the vicinity of Cape Leeuwin. Late in April, a group of prospective settlers including the Molloys and Bussells accompanied Stirling and his official party to the proposed site of the subcolony. After a four-day exploring expedition up the Blackwood River, Stirling confirmed his decision to establish a settlement at the location. The settlers' possessions were unloaded, and Molloy was appointed Government Resident and Resident magistrate for the settlement, to be called Augusta.
On Saturday at 3 pm. the Premier (Sir James Mitchell) will dedicate memorials which have been erected at Augusta in honour of the pioneers of the district and of Colonel Molloy, who founded Augusta in 1830. The pioneers' memorial stands on the site of the cemetery used in Augusta's early days. It has been erected and will be maintained as a result of funds having been made available by the State Government, the Augusta-Margaret River Road Board and the Western Australian Historical Society. The column in memory of Colonel Molloy, provided by the Historical Society, has been placed where his house once stood.
The West Australia, 22nd February 1933.
|Address:||Turner Street, Georgiana Park, Augusta, 6290|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.325016|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||02-May-1830|
|Actual Event End Date:||02-May-1830|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th February, 1933|