James & Archibald CookePrint Page Print this page

James + Archibald Cooke
James + Archibald Cooke

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

A memorial commemorates the first settlers of Kingston who took up land near Maria Creek in 1856.

Archibald Cooke was born in Scotland and immigrated to South Australia in 1837. His brother James joined him six years later. They first held property at Wellington and the area that they gave their name to, Cooke Plains. In 1854 Archie Cooke rode from Wellington along the Coorong to the Maria Creek and became interested in the land and the calm waters of Lacepede Bay as he was aiming to become involved in shipping and trade. Two years later after receiving a grant of land, he and James returned in their cutter "Swallow". Their grant consisted of 3,496 acres and with vast grazing rights to eleven and a half miles of sea front on Lacepede Bay. They still owned their land at Wellington & Cooke Plains.

The brothers combined pastoral pursuits with mercantile and shipping business. Archie managed the former and James the latter. Through their efforts a short jetty was constructed and Port Caroline was founded. The brothers opened up the first coastal service to Lacepede Bay, built a large wool store and supported bullock teams which brought produce to and from the Tatiara and other settlements. In 1876 the longer screw pile jetty was built and James, always a businessman was instrumental in having the railway line constructed between Kingston and Naracoorte. This was officially opened in 1877. As their business grew the brothers encouraged and assisted new settlers by sub-letting portions of their land.


Address:Marine Parade, Kingston SE, 5275
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.827701
Long: 139.850009
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 22nd February, 2008
Front Inscription

Brothers James & Archibald Cooke were the first settlers in Kingston, arriving in 1856. They built a jetty & woolstore to encourage trade & other settlers. Through their enthusiasm the railway line was built to Naracoorte in 1876.
Unveiled by Alexander G Cooke 22.2.2008

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design