Stephen George HentyPrint Page
A stained window commemorates Stephen George Henty who arrived at the Swan River in 1829 with his brothers James and John and after an attempt at farming he traded between Fremantle and Launceston before settling in 1836 at Portland Bay with his wife Jane, daughter of Captain Walter Pace of Western Australia.
An enterprising explorer, merchant and trader, shipowner, whaler and magistrate, he was active in all civic affairs. His wife, although the mother of ten children before she was 40, also played a notable part. From 1856 to 1870 while he was a member of the Legislative Assembly they lived much at Findon, the mansion he built in Melbourne, until illness forced a return to the country, where he died near Hamilton in 1872.
The movement inaugurated early this year for a memorial to the memory of the late Hon Stephen George Henty, has resulted in a magnificent memorial window in the chancel of St Stephen's Church, completed last week and thrown open to publice gaze on Sunday last for the first time. The work is the manufacture of Messrs Ferguson, Urie and Lyon, Melbourne and was erected under the direction of Mr Marshall, the outdoor manager of the firm, and in a way to reflect credit on both firm and manager. On the bottom in glass in the third or lowest compartment we have in old Roman characters --"Erected by subscription to the glory of God and in memory of Stephen George M.Henty, who died , December 18th; 1872."
Portland Guardian and Normanby General Advertiser (Vic.), 16th May 1873
|Address:||Percy & Julia Streets, St Stephens Anglican Church, Portland, 3305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.348773|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Ferguson,Urie & Lyon of Melbourne|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th May, 1873|
Erected by subscription to the Glory of God and in memory of Stephen George Henty who died Dec`r. 18th 1872