Edward HentyPrint Page
A stained glass window commemorates the landing of Edward Henty at Portland Bay. The window was a gift from the trustees of the Henty Jubilee held in Portland in 1884 as a memorial to the late Edmund Henty.
The church of St. Stephen’s at Portland has received a further adornment to its pretty interior by a window designed by Messrs. Brooks, Robinson, and Co., and prepared at their studio, Melbourne. It is a gift from the trustees of the “Henty Jubilee,” held at Portland in 1884, as a memorial of the late Mr. Edward Henty. The window commands the main south transept of the church, with outlook direct towards “Burswood,” the late residence of the donor, and in line with the “Henty” family pew in the church, the central lancet being 21ft. high, representing the “Light of the World,” surmounted by heads of cherubims and emblems of other forms, and the east and west side lancet windows illustrating an angel holding a scroll text, with inscriptions, “He led them forth by the right way” and “The Lord thy God bringeth thee into a good land.”
The whole fully realises and portrays the subject of the founder’s first landing at Portland Bay. At the foot, covering the whole space of the three lancet windows, in consecutive order, the following inscription is set forth in exquisitely plain lettering, “To the glory of God, and in memory of Edward Henty, who landed at Portland Bay on the nineteenth day of November, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-four, establishing the first settlement of that portion of Australasia forming the colony of Victoria.
The Argus (Melbourne), 18th November 1901.
|Address:||Percy & Julia Streets, St Stephens Anglican Church, Portland, 3305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.348699|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||19-November-1834|
|Actual Event End Date:||19-November-1834|
|Monument Designer:||Brookes, Robinson & Co|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||November-1901|
TO the GLORY of GOD and in MEMORY of EDWARD HENTY who landed at PORTLAND BAY on the nineteenth day of NOVEMBER in the year of our LORD one thousand eight hundred and thirty four establishing the first settlement of that portion of AUSTRALASIA forming the COLONY of VICTORIA