Anne Drysdale & Caroline NewcombPrint Page Print this page

Anne Drysdale & Caroline Newcomb : 07-October-2012
Anne Drysdale & Caroline Newcomb : 07-October-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Monument erected in memory of pioneers, Anne Drysdale and Caroline Newcomb, who formed a pastoral partnership and held several runs on the Bellarine Peninsula. The township of Drysdale is named after Anne. 

Anne Drysdale was a farmer in her own right in Scotland when she migrated to Australia for health reasons. She arrived in Melbourne on the Indus in 1840, and travelled down to Geelong, where she met her future partner Caroline Newcomb at the residence of Dr Alexander Thomson. In October 1840, the two women took up a 10,000 acre lease on the Barwon, known as 'Boronggoop', later extending it to Leep Leep. Their sheep run was a success, and in 1843 they obtained the Coryule run at Indented Head, purchasing the freehold in 1848, and subsequently disposing of Boronggoop. By the time of Anne Drysdale's death at the Coryule mansion in 1853, they had built up a large farming enterprise and were highly regarded in the community. Caroline died 21 years later and she was buried beside her friend.



Address:Geelong Road, Pioneer Women Park, Drysdale, 3222
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.173842
Long: 144.569539
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Link: http://adb.anu.edu.au/


Front Inscription


In memory of two remarkable women in early
Victoria, ANNE DRYSDALE (1792-1853) and
CAROLINE NEWCOMB (1812-1874). They
arrived as single women in 1840 and 1836
respectively and met in Geelong. At a time when
there were few career opportunities for women,
they formed a pastoral partnership and
successfully operated several properties on the
Bellarine Peninsula, employing a number of

Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design