Johann August MeyerPrint Page
Gates commemorate the founder of Donald, Johann August Meyer.
In 1863 an enterprising businessman named Johann August Meyer saw an opportunity to set up a store and liquor shanty by a bridge that had been built over the Richardson upstream from the Banyenong homestead. It was a crossing and camping place for teamsters, travellers, drovers and herdsmen. The shanty met strong objections from William Donald and other pastoralists, as shepherds were being enticed from their lonely vigil, minding sheep in the unfenced land.
When a road from St. Arnaud to Morton Plains was surveyed in 1864, the bridge was re-located, and Johann Meyer built a weatherboard store and hotel near the site of the present Mt. Jeffcott Hotel. Edward Miller followed him, building his Royal Hotel, and this was the nucleus of the town that was called Richardson Bridge until the name "Donald" appeared on a survey map in 1866.
|Address:||Houston Street, Donald Park, Donald, 3480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.372453|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1962|
Dedicated to Johann August Meyer, founder of Donald 1863.
Erected by the Shire of Donald Centenary Year, A.A. Dunstan, Shire President