George ImlayPrint Page
Monument commemorates George Imlay who died in 1846.
George Imlay with his brothers Peter and Andrew were landowners and speculators. The Imlay brothers' biggest interests were in the Bega district, where George and Peter controlled the pastoral and whaling activities. Peter also opened up trade with New Zealand where he had acquired land at New Plymouth. Although he and his brothers held 1500 sq miles (3885 km²) of the colony's best land, their fortunes declined disastrously. By the end of 1844 they had surrendered to their creditors all their land except four runs totalling 37,400 acres (15,135 ha) round Bega and Cobargo.On 26 December 1846 George, who had contracted an incurable disease, shot himself on top of the mountain overlooking Bega, now known as Dr George Mountain.
Leave Bega on the Tarraganda Road for Bermagui and the road crosses a timber truss bridge that was built in 1894. On the other side is Tarraganda, a portion of the property owned by the Imlays in the 1830s. Beyond this point is a gravel road to Dr George Mountain where there is a memorial to George Imlay who shot himself there in 1847 (sic) believing that he had contracted a terminal illness.
June 26, 2008 - Sydney Morning Herald Travel Bega.
|Address:||Dr George Mountain Road, Dr George Mountain, Tarraganda, 2550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.669156|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.