John ParkesPrint Page
A monument commemorates the convict John Parkes who settled on the site of the present day Earlwood.
John Parkes was a convict transported on the Barwell in 1797 for seven years for stealing "a great coat, called a beaver coat, worth sixteen shillings". In 1803 he married Margaret Southern and during 1816 was granted 50 acres in the Botany Bay District. On receipt of this grant, he crossed Cooks River, looked around, and selected his 50 acres at the top of a ridge, surrounded by ironbarks, red mahogany trees and gullies full of ferns, flannel flowers and gymea lilies. John Parkes` property was situated in the centre of Earlwood. The western boundary was the top end of Woolcott Street and the southern boundary was along William Street from Woolcott Street to Homer Street.
|Address:||Doris Avenue & McKenzie Lane, Earlwood Oval, Earlwood, 2206|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.925126|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR
John Parkes Memorial
This monument is dedicated to the memory of the original landowners John Parkes of Halesowen who was the first European settler; and all those who followed them.
The project was jointly funded by The New South Wales Bicentennial Council and the Canterbury Municipal Council