Robert BrownPrint Page
The restored rotunda commemorates the centenary of the death of Albury`s first settler, Robert Brown.
Robert Brown was the first European man to settle on the site of the present day Albury. In 1838, Robert Brown built the first dwelling in Albury (a slab hut) near the Hovell tree - the one marked by the explorers (Hume & Hovell) as they passed in 1824. Albury was gazetted as a town in 1839. In 1839 it was noted that mail for areas outside of Albury was deposited with Robert Brown. Soon after the first land sales, Robert Brown built brick additions to his slab hut, which became the Hume River Inn - Albury's first hotel. Brown, in 1845, took up a pastoral run called 'Collendina', about 30 miles downriver from Albury.
His interest in the town, however, was unflagging and his zeal for the support of worthy causes unremitting. The enterprising Mr Brown who had established a vegetable garden on the river flats and produced the first district oranges, is also credited with having grown the first stand of wheat.
|Address:||Wodonga Place & Smollett Street, Botanic Gardens, Albury, 2640|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.081274|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1879|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1979|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 19th February, 1979|
Albury City Council
ALBURY AND DISTRICT
ROBERT BROWN MEMORIAL
This Restored Rotunda Commemorates The
Centenary Of The Death of Albury`s Founder
And First Settler, Robert Brown.
February 19th, 1979
C.S. McQueen President Albury & District Historical Society
J. L. Roach Mayor of Albury