John WhitbournePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The foundation stone of the Lindenow Hall was laid to commemorate John Whitbourne, a pioneer of Lindenow. The land on which the hall is built was procured from Mr. Whitbourne. 

Last Tuesday evening a public meeting was held at Lindenow to consider the question of erecting a new mechanics' institute hall. The committee or the institute recommended that a new brick hall be built on a piece of land adjoining the present building, and which had been secured from Mr. J. Whitbourne. It was stated that there was £400 in hand, and that the district had been canvassed to dispose of £5 debentures beanring 5 per cent interest. payable yearly, principal to be repaid out of profits by annual ballots, and that £460 worth had been taken up or promised. A Government grant had also been applied for. The meeting adopted the committee's recommendation that a new building be erected at once. Plans or the proposed new structure have been prepared by Mr. J. M`Knockiter, of Bairnsdale, and are at present in Melbourne for approval by the Public Health department. They provide for an institute of attractive appearance. 
Bairnsdale Advertiser and Tambo and Omeo Chronicle (Vic),
11 February 1913.


Address:Main Road, Lindenow Hall, Lindenow, 3865
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.799996
Long: 147.456646
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1913
Front Inscription

Foundation Stone Laid 1913
To Commemorate
Pioneer Lindenow 1863

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design