John FlugPrint Page
A plaque unveiled during Charlton`s 150th anniversary celebrations commemorates John Flug who established the first commercial building in Charlton.
The future site of Charlton proved to be the best crossing place of the Avoca River for traffic going north from Bendigo and Ballarat, and soon became a camping ground where travellers stopped to feed and water their horses and bullocks. The passing of traffic at this spot naturally suggested a chance for business and in 1863 Mr John Flug built an inn on the east bank of the Avoca River laying the foundation for the township of Charlton.
|Address:||High Street, Charlton, 3525|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.269105|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 31st March, 2013|
In 1863, Norwegian, Jogn Flug erected an inn on the east bank of the Avoca River, laying the foundation for the town of Charlton.
He later established the East Charlton Hotel and store. After selling his busines to Mr. C. Luth in 1875, Flug left Charlton and pursued other business opportunities in the hotel industry.
John passed away in 1900 at the age of 85 and his wife Ellen died one year later. They had no children.
Erected by the 2013 Charlton Back-To Committee celebrating 150 years