Robert BrownPrint Page
Plaque erected in commemoration of Albury`s first settler, Robert Brown who established a store near the site.
Robert Brown was the first European man to settle on the site of the present day Albury. In 1838, Robert Brown built the first dwelling in Albury (a slab hut) near the Hovell tree - the one marked by the explorers (Hume & Hovell) as they passed in 1824. Albury was gazetted as a town in 1839. In 1839 it was noted that mail for areas outside of Albury was deposited with Robert Brown. Soon after the first land sales, Robert Brown built brick additions to his slab hut, which became the Hume River Inn - Albury's first hotel. Brown, in 1845, took up a pastoral run called 'Collendina', about 30 miles downriver from Albury.
His interest in the town, however, was unflagging and his zeal for the support of worthy causes unremitting. The enterprising Mr Brown who had established a vegetable garden on the river flats and produced the first district oranges, is also credited with having grown the first stand of wheat.
|Address:||Wodonga Place, Hovell Tree Park , South Albury, 2640|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.085289|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Erected In Commemoration Of
First Citizen And Business Man
Of Albury Who In 1839 Erected The
First Building For Accommodation
And Store Close To This Site And
Was Active In The Establishment
Of The Agricultural Society, The
Public Hospital, And Other Public
Amenities Of This City.