Daniel James MahonyPrint Page
Memorial plaque subscribed to by 41 friends was unveiled in the Museum in May, 1945.
Daniel James Mahony was Director of the National Museum of Victoria 1931-44 and President of the Royal Society of Victoria 1939-40. Mahony initiated the use of honorary staff to assist in the work of the museum and actively promoted its public image with a new display programme.
One of the first specialists with a higher degree in the Mines Department of Victoria, Mahony was temporarily appointed in 1906 to the vacancy caused by the resignation of (Sir) Albert Kitson, as petrologist. He was permanently appointed on 23 February 1915. His major contribution to petrology was his study with H. J. Grayson of the Mount Elephant and Camperdown district.
|Address:||11 Nicholson Street, Melbourne Museum, Carlton, 3053|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.803536|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-1945|