William John HancockPrint Page
A stained glass window commemorates William Hancock, pioneer radiologist and former member of the University Senate.
Röntgen's discovery of X-rays was published in 1895. Hancock obtained the apparatus from London and demonstrated its use in Perth in August 1896. The Perth Public Hospital allocated him a small room and appointed him honorary radiographer in 1898. For the next twenty-two years he worked as an engineer by day and contributed his services and equipment, valued at £500, to public patients on several afternoons and evenings each week: it is estimated that he handled over 30,000 exposures.
In 1915-27 he was a member of the Senate of the University of Western Australia which conferred on him an honorary doctorate of science in 1924. A member of many scientific, engineering and radiological societies, he had advocated the use of solar energy in Australia in 1917.
|Address:||Stirling Highway, University of WA, Winthrop Hall, Crawley, 6009|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.975894|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1934|
In honour of William John Hancock, Doctor of Science, pioneer in radiology in Western Australia, 1864-1931.