Sydney SkertchleyPrint Page
Granite memoprial stone, erected over the grave by the societies he supported, commemorates the Scientist and Assistant Government Geologist of Queensland, Sydney Skertchley (1850-1926).
In 1895-97 he was Assistant Government Geologist in the Geological Survey of Queensland, publishing reports on mines in the Herberton-Chillagoe and Warwick-Stanthorpe areas. He was in the Chillagoe district again in 1898. President of the Royal Society of Queensland that year, Skertchly was a founder and first president of the Field Naturalists` Club in 1906 and was significant in developing its character. Skertchly lectured widely and for many years wrote on natural history and science for the Brisbane Courier, providing stimulus and inspiration by his intense love of Nature. In 1910-25 he was president of the examining board of the Queensland Institute of Ophthalmic Opticians, involved in the campaign (successful in 1917) for legislative regulation of the profession. He was also sometime president of the Child Study Association of Queensland. In 1917 Skertchly retired to the Nerang district where he took an interest in local Aborigines. He died at Molendinar on 2 February 1926.
The death of Professor Sydney Skertchley. a well known scientist, who has been failing in health for some time took place at his residence, Molendinar, near Nerang, today. The late Mr. Skertchley was born at Ansty, Leicester (England), on December 14, 1850. He was awarded the Queen's gold, silver, and bronze medal in science in 1871, and was elected a fellow of the Geological Society and M.A.I. in 1888. He was an honorary member of many scientific bodies in England, America and Australia. His chief scientific discoveries related to the antiquity of man, the glacial epoch, the origin of Australia and the colour question in animals and plants. He had many years of crowded and scientifically eventful life to his credit, and had travelled extensively. From 1870 to 1871 he was geologist to the Khedive of Egypt. He arrived in Queensland in the early nineties.
Queensland Times (Ipswich) (Qld), 3 February 1926.
|Address:||Mylor & West Streets, Cemetery, Nerang, 4211|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.989396|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.