Walter Hill Print Page
Fountain commemorates the first curator of the Botanic Gardens. The Walter Hill Fountain is located in the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens and was built as a drinking fountain in 1867 when mains water was introduced to Brisbane. In 1972, the fountain was renamed to commemorate the achievements of Walter Hill and a plaque was attched to its base.
Walter Hill was appointed first Superintendent of the Brisbane Botanic Gardens in 1855, and first Colonial Botanist of Queensland in 1859. He retained these positions until 1881. Hill undertook expeditions to Cape York (1862) and along the north-east coast to Mossman and the Daintree (1873), climbing Mt Bellenden-Ker. He developed a small herbarium and laid the basis of a botanical library.
|Address:||Alice Street, Botanic Gardens, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.474504|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Charles Tiffin (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||John Petrie (stonemason)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1972|