Lindsay PryorPrint Page
A tree commemorates Lindsay Pryor who between 1944 and 1958, held the position of Director, Parks and Gardens, Canberra, a position previously held by Charles Weston, Alexander Bruce and John Hobday.
Pryor's contribution to the landscape of Canberra came in this time, when he built on the foundation work between 1913 and 1926 of Charles Weston. He introduced new and genetically superior Australian and exotic trees and shrubs into the Canberra landscape and expanded the collection of trees in Weston`s Westbourne Woods arboretum.
In 1945 he founded the Herbarium of the future Australian National Botanic Gardens and began working for the establishment of the Gardens and its annexes, which were to be devoted almost exclusively to the Australian indigenous flora.
He was born in Moonta where his father Oswald was Surface Manager at Moonta Mines until it closed in 1923. Lindsay graduated from the University of Adelaide and from the Australian Forestry School Canberra in 1935. He managed the ACT forests in the 1940s before becoming Director of Parks and Gardens for ACT in 1944 from which position he was highly influential in the development of the treed landscaping of Canberra, carrying on the pioneering work of Charles Weston.
He was appointed Professor of Botany at Canberra University College in 1958 ,which latterly became the Australian National University from where he retired in 1976. His many public works included the landscaping of the Botanic Gardens, the Australian War Memorial, Telopea Park, Westbourne Woods and its conversion to Royal Canberra Golf Course. His research interests included eucalypt taxonomy and breeding; he published extensively in this area and was an acknowledged world expert in his field.
|Address:||Clunies Ross Street, Australian National Botanic Gardens, Acton, 2601|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.277778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
The Pryor Tree - a anme lives on
This Eucalyptus mannifera predates the Gardens to the time when this land was still used by local dairy farms.
In the early 1950s the resident cows spent much of their time nibbling eucalypt seedlings. This natural coppicing meant seedlings sprouted with multiple trunks. When the cattle left, in around 1952, this Eucalyptus mannifera thrived, growing three sturdy trunks and many limbs. The tree is unofficially named after Lindsay Pryor who was instrumental in securing funding for the founding of the Gardens and planted many initital plants.
On a vist to the Gardens, staff discovered Mr Pryor had no knowledge that the tree was named for him, or why. Over time, less and less people referred to the tree by this name.
However, the Pryor tree has been revived. The Gardens is keen to retain this special name in honour of the man who contributed so much to the establishment of the Australian National Botanic Gardens.