William CrookePrint Page
An obelisk commemorates conservationist and schoolteacher, William Crooke.
In 1903 he was a founding member of the Southern Tasmanian Licensed Anglers` Association, whose members included the urban intellectuals who were to make early conservation moves successful. From 1904 Crooke was fishing correspondent for the Hobart Mercury under the pseudonym `Jollytail`, using the column to air environmental issues.
He was influenced by park models in Africa and the United States of America, declared that `rivers should be national property` and argued for control over all forms of fishing. . In 1906 he promoted the concept of land reservation for the Mount Wellington and Queen`s Domain parks, Hobart, and of wildlife reserves including bird sanctuaries.
A monument bearing the following inscription is to he unveiled within the boundary of Tasmania's National Park tomorrow: "In memory of William Crooke, 1846-1920, mainly through whose efforts this park was reserved for the people of Tasmania." The late Mr. Crooke has been described as the "father of the park." Situated at the commencement of the back-track to Lake Fenton and the hills, close to the large shelter-shed 100 yards or so within the entrance gates, the memorial takes the form of an obelisk. Composed of Tasmanian "bluestone," it stands 14 feet in height with a base of some five feet, and is quite simple in design. No other thing adorns it than the stone containing the inscription published above.
The Mercury (Hobart), 19th June 1924.
|Address:||Lake Dobson Road, Mount Field National Park, National Park , 7140|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.682355|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 20th June, 1924|
In memory of William Crooke, 1846-1920
Mainly through whose efforts this park was reserved for the people of Tasmania.