Dr. Samuel S. CameronPrint Page
A tree commemorates Dr. Samuel S Cameron, the Victorian Director of Agriculture from 1911-31, who jointly established the State Research Farm with A.E. Richardson, Agricultural Superintendent and farm manager H.C Wilson.
The State Research Farm, was established to support for the Closer Settlement programme under which, from 1898, parts of a number of large squatting era land holdings had been resumed and broken into farms intended for dairying, wheat growing and mixed farming in Victoria. Twenty thousand acres of the Chirnside’s Werribee Estate had been acquired for closer settlement purposes in 1906. In 1912, an area of 1167 acres of this land was acquired by the Department of Agriculture for the establishment of a Research Farm.
|Address:||Princes Highway, State Research Farm, Werribee, 3030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.927222|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1931|