Baron Ferdinand von MuellerPrint Page
Bust of Baron Ferdinand von Meuller, Director of the Gardens from 1857-1873. He studied pharmacy and took his Doctor of Philosophy at the University of Kiel in 1847. He came to Australia in 1848 for health reasons and became a great botanical collector and writer. He was Victorian Government Botanist from 1853, and for a time Director of the Botanic Gardens.
He travelled widely in Victoria and was on the A.C.Gregory expedition to northern Australia in 1855-57. He supported botanical exploration and collecting throughout the colonies. His botanical publications were very extensive, and include Fragmenta Phytographiae Australiae published over the period 1858-82. Dr Mueller received honours from many of the ruling Royal Houses of Europe, he was made a Baron by the King of Wurtemberg in 1871, and knighted by Queen Victoria.
|Address:||Birdwood Avenue, Botanic Gardens, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.830636|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1857|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1873|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 11th October, 1985|
This plaque commemorates the life work of one of the `fathers` of the garden state. Baron Ferdinand von Mueller KCMG 1825 - 1896.
This distinguished botanist and explorer was the founder of the National Herbarium of Victoria. As Director of the Melbourne Botanic Gardens from 1857-73, he was directly invloved in their laying out and planting.
During this period, he also supplied the highest quality plants to the regional botanic gardens throughout Victoria.
His dedication to the concept of the garden state is enshrined in the beauty of these gardens and by the many fine trees of his selections which remain standing today.
Baron Ferdinand von Mueller`s great contribution to our quality of life is honoured here by the following members of the German-Australian business community.
Their generosity during Victoria`s 150th year has enabled the re-labelling of plants and the rejuvenation of provincial botanic gardens throughout the state to be undertaken for the enjoyment of all Victorians.
Donated to the Royal Botanic Gardens by the Fox family on the occassion of the 150th anniversary of the founding of Victoria.
Unveiled by the Hon. Joan Kirner, M.L.C. Minister for Conservation, Forests & Lands. 11.10.1985