George TindalePrint Page
A garden commemorates George Tindale who was a research scientist with the Victorian Department of Agriculture.
George Barrand Tindale (1903-1977), agricultural scientist and horticulturist, joined the Victorian Department of Agriculture in 1926 as research officer at the Government Cool Stores, Victoria Dock, West Melbourne. Although pathologists in several States had previously carried out cool-storage investigations, he was the first full-time researcher in the field in Australia.
His love of ornamental horticulture led him in 1958 to buy Pallants Hill, an 8.4-acre (3.4 ha) property at Sherbrooke in the Dandenong Ranges. The many large mountain ashes remaining on the holding had been underplanted with exotic trees and shrubs, especially rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias. He developed the garden into one of the finest in the district.
After his retirement in 1968, Tindale continued to improve his garden and served as secretary of the Ferny Creek Horticultural Society. He died on 21 May 1977 at Pallants Hill and was cremated. His wife survived him and managed the property until 1980 when she gave it to the Victorian Conservation Trust. The Department of Conservation and Environment opened the George Tindale Memorial Garden to the public.
|Address:||Sherbrooke Road, George Tindale Memorial Gardens, Sherbrooke, 3789|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.881271|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.