Norman William JollyPrint Page
The Norman Jolly Memorial Grove and cairn commemorate Norman William Jolly for his contribution to the teaching and practice of forestry in Australia. The memorial grove is a stand of Eucalyptus microcorys (tallow wood).
Jolly founded the first course in higher forestry training in Australia; he was also assistant conservator of forests in 1911. In August 1911 he moved to Queensland as director of forests, remaining there until 1918 when he became one of the forestry commissioners in New South Wales. An appointment as the first professor of forestry at the University of Adelaide followed in 1925. However, when that school was closed after the formation of the Australian Forestry School by the Commonwealth government in 1926, Jolly resigned to return to New South Wales as sole forestry commissioner.
He retired in October 1933 with impaired health after continual conflicts with the government over policy, and returned to Adelaide. He was elected an honorary member of the Institute of Foresters of Australia in 1953.
|Address:||Moonpar Forest Drive, Nymboi Binderay National Park, Dorrigo, 2453|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.212778|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1957|
Forestry Commission Of
New South Wales
Norman Jolly Memorial Grove
A Tribute To
Norman William Jolly Esq., B Sc., B A.,
Dip. For. (Oxon)
Eminent Scholar And Forester
1882 - 1954
In Recognition Of His Contribution
To The Teaching And Practice Of
Forestry In Australia