John Brown GribblePrint Page
A cross commemorates John Brown Gribble who established the mission at Yarrabah.
In 1889 F.T. Wimble, owner of the Cairns Post and local member of the Queensland Legislative Council, acknowledged the need to protect Aboriginal people from the violence of the settlers. He proposed that a reserve be set up in the Barron River Valley. Among the missionaries who responded was Anglican priest John Gribble.
He initially attempted to establish a mission at Bellenden-Ker in 1890 but was unable to gain Government backing, partly due to the presence of other church missionaries in the area. Gribble was determined to succeed and relocated to Cape Grafton in 1892 to establish a mission which he called Bellenden-Ker mission. Gribble was forced to self-fund the mission until he attracted meagre financial support from the Anglican Church. Gribble died within months of establishing the mission, and was replaced by his son Ernest Gribble.
|Address:||Beech Street, Outside school, Yarrabah, 4871|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.905369|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THE REV. JOHN BROWN GRIBBLE, FOUNDER OF THIS MISSION LANDED HERE ON 17th JUNE 1892.