Reverend J.J.FlynnPrint Page
The foundation stone of church commemorates Reverend J. J. Flynn, former rector of the parish.
In 1892 land was purchased in Dickson Street for a new church but it was not until 1920 that the foundation stone was laid . The church was built as a memorial to the Reverend Flynn and opened in 1921.
The ceremony of laying and blessing the corner stone and blessing the foundations of the new Roman Catholic Church at Lambton was performed yesterday afternoon by the Right Rev. Dr. Dwyer, Bishop of Maitland, in the presence of a large gathering. The clergy present were the Revs. C. O'Regan, the parish priest, W. O'Sullivan, M. F. M'Auliffe, J. Costello, B. M'Kiernan, H. O'Laverty, J. Kelly, and J. Marshall. The church is being erected in memory of the late Rev. Father J. J. Flynn, who was at one time rector at Lambton, and who bequeathed £1000 for a new church at Lambton. The foundation stone bears the following inscription: "To the glory of God, and in honour of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of St. John the Evangelist, and in memory of the Rev. J. J. Flynn, rector of this parish. 5th September, 1920. P.Dwyer, Bishop of Maitland, C. O'Regan, rector of Lambton."
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),
6 September 1920.
|Address:||80 Dickson Street, St John The Evangelist Catholic Church, Lambton, 2299|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.90985|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 5th September, 1920|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
IN HONOUR OF THE
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF THE B.VIRGIN MARY
AND OF S.JOHN EVANGELIST
AND IN MEMORY OF THE REVEREND J.J.FLYNN
RECTOR OF THIS PARISH
5th SEPTEMBER 1920
+ P.V.DWYER BISHOP OF MAITLAND
C.O`REGAN RECTOR OF LAMBTON