George William TorrancePrint Page
Memorial tablet commemorates George William Torrance (1835-1907), clergyman, organist and composer.
Torrance arrived at Williamstown in the Thomas Stephens on 15 December 1869. He was appointed to Christ Church, South Yarra, in February 1870 and next year became acting curate at St John's, La Trobe Street. In 1872 he was appointed acting principal of Trinity College, later affiliated with the University of Melbourne, which was opened in February. Torrance continued at St John's until 1877 when he was appointed to All Saints, Geelong.
He was at Holy Trinity, Balaclava, from 1878 to 1895, when the permanent church was built to J. Reed's design and a fine three-manual organ, built by G. Fincham, was installed. Torrance also acted as organist in 1880-82, donating his fee to the organ fund. The £600 it cost was fully paid by 1885 through Father Torrance giving recitals, collecting subscriptions and acting as the church organist to save the salary. He was dubbed ‘the disappearing parson’ because after finishing prayers he vanished behind the screen to play the organ.
|Address:||Brighton Road& Chapel Street, Holy Trinity Church, Balaclava, 3183|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.870739|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.