www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Archdeacon Samuel FrenchPrint Page Print this page

A window icommemorates Archdeacon Samuel French.

Samuel French was Archdeacon of St Peter`s Cathedral from 1901 until his unexpected death from a heart attack in 1903. He came to Australia in 1880 as chaplain to Bishop Short and from 1881 to 1893 he was incumbent of Glenelg. From 1893 to 1901 he was priest in charge of the missionary district of Petersburg with jamestown, Terowie and Caltowie and in 1896 he was created a canon. On his return to Adelaide as Archdeacon in 1901 he was also organising chaplain of the Bishop's Home Mission Society. 

A special service was held at St. Peter's Cathedral on Sunday afternoon, when the stained glass windows erected in memory of the late Archdeacon Morse, the Ven. Archdeacon French and Mr. and Mrs. John Howard, were unveiled and dedicated by the Bishop of Adelaide (Right Rev. Dr. Harmer). After outlining the general scheme in which stained class windows had been and were being erected in the Cathedral, the Bishop said the three dedicated that day showed representations of St. Augustine, St. Columba. and St. Boniface.

Archdeacons Morse and French had come as missionaries from a far country to spread the message of the Gospel and to carry the standard of Christ into the new land. They were men of infinite patience, loving, and long suffering, whose lives were spent in the making of peace. They were earnest and energetic as their prototypes on the windows, and never considered any work too small or insignificant for them to perform. He trusted that their memory would be a lasting one, not only to those present but to succeeding generations.
The Register (Adelaide), 6 March 1905.

Location

Address:27 King William Road, St Peter`s Cathedral , North Adelaide, 5006
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.913048
Long: 138.59837
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 5th March, 1905
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design