Reverend Robert SteelPrint Page
Stained glass window erected by the congregation in memory of Reverend Robert Steel, Minister of St Stephen's 1862-1893.
Steel was persuaded to accept a call to Sydney by Professor John Smith and two other commissioners from St Stephen's, the Free Church congregation in Macquarie Street. He arrived with his family in 1862. In 1873, after Adam Thomson had become principal of St Andrew's College, University of Sydney, his congregation joined with Steel's, and his large stone church in Phillip Street became St Stephen's, with a fine tower and spire added by William Munro. Despite increasing deafness Steel continued a brilliant and eloquent ministry there until 1893, holding a large congregation and generously serving church and community.
|Address:||197 Macquarie Street, St Stephen`s Uniting Church , Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.867407|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.