www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Canon Bicton Clemence WilsonPrint Page Print this page

06-July-2016
06-July-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A pair of stained glass windows erected by the parishioners commemorate Canon Bicton Clemence Wilson and his ten years ministry in the parish. Surplus funds from the subscription renewed the flooring in the church. 

There was a congregation of large proportions, which included visitors from Newcastle, Maitland, Muswellbrook, Aberdeen, Merriwa, and Gundy, at St. Luke's Church of England, Scone, on Sunday morning last, when a pair of memorial windows, erected by parishioners and friends to the memory of the late Canon Bicton Clemence Wilson, M.C., M.A., for ten years Rector of Scone, were unveiled and dedicated by The Right Rev. Francis de Witt Batty, D.D., Bishop of Newcastle. The service, that of Holy Communion, at which the Rector (Rev. S. V. Satchell, Th. L.) celebrated, assisted by The Ven. Archdeacon H. A. Wood, B.A. (Archdeacon of Newcastle), was most impressive as was the ceremony of unveiling and dedication. Canon. K. S. Single (Rector of Hamilton), who acted as Bishop's Chaplain, also represented Newcastle Legacy Club, of which the late Canon Wilson was one of its founders, and Rev. R. R. Sansom (Rector of St. Mark's, Aberdeen), were other clergy present. 

The service opened with the processional hymn, "Lead us Heavenly Father," with Miss June Turnbull at the organ and a full choir, as the procession entered from the western entrance. His Lordship next moved to the Children's Corner, where the unveiling and dedication followed. It was a simple, yet beautiful, ceremony as the Union Jack dropped and the windows were revealed in all their splendour and glory. The Bishop next read the inscription : "A.M.D.G. (Latin translation of "Greater Glory of God") and in affectionate remembrance of Canon Bicton Clemence Wilson, M.C., M.A., for ten years Rector of Scone." The windows, which vividly depict the subject, "Suffer Little Children to Come Unto Me," which is the beautiful quotation from St. Mark's Gospel, 10th Chapter, are outstandingly rich in their hues of red and blue with gold shadings, also portraying, as they do, Christ blessing the little children. The memorial is an Australian production in its entirety, with John Ashwin and Co., of Sydney, as the producers. 
Scone Advocate (NSW), 3 May 1946.

Location

Address:Liverpool & Hill Streets, St Luke`s Anglican Church, Scone, 2337
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.050416
Long: 150.862283
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion
Monument Designer:John Ashwin & Co.(Sydney, N.S.W.)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 28th April, 1946
Front Inscription

(Across both windows) 

A. M. D. G. And In Affectionate Remembrance Of Canon Bicton Clemence Wilson Died 27th Feb 1945
And To Commemorate His Ten Years Ministry In This Parish.  Erected By The Parishioners.

Inscription in Proximity

Plaque:
                A.M.D.G.
The Entire Flooring Of This Church
Was Renewed 30th November,1947.
    From A Surplus Of Funds
Subscribed By Parishioners
      To The Memorial Of

     CANON B.C.WILSON
10 Years Rector Of This Church

" EVERY MAN`S WORK SHALL BE MADE MANIFEST."
                                          1 Corinthians v.3



 

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design