Mary MacKillop RockPrint Page
Monument commemorates the beatification of Mary MacKillop.
St. Finbarr’s Parish School was established in 1950 by the Sisters of St Joseph. It was known as St Joseph’s Convent for some years, changing to St Finbarr’s Parish School in the early 1970’s. The Sisters of St. Joseph’s have administered the School since it began and have also conducted a coeducational boarding facility since 1951. The boarding school catered for children whose parents live on properties or live and work away from town. The boarding school facility closed in 2008 due to lack of numbers.
Mary Helen MacKillop (15 January 1842 – 8 August 1909) was an Australian Roman Catholic nun who, together with Father Julian Tenison Woods, founded the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart. Since her death she has attracted much veneration in Australia and internationally.
MacKillop is the only Australian to have been beatified (in 1995 by Pope John Paul II). On 17 July 2008, Pope Benedict XVI prayed at her tomb during his visit to Sydney for World Youth Day 2008. On 19 December 2009, Pope Benedict XVI approved the Church's recognition of a second miracle attributed to her intercession. It was announced on 19 February 2010 that her canonisation is due to be formally declared on 17 October 2010, making her the first Australian saint. After her canonisation she was known as Saint Mary of the Cross.
|Address:||Jabiru Street, St Finbarrs School, Quilpie, 4480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.616863|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1995|