Charles Owen Leaver RileyPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Charles Riley who became the first archbishop of Perth.
In 1894 Riley was appointed bishop of Perth, Western Australia, then the largest Anglican diocese in the world, with an area of 1,000,000 square miles (2,600,000 km2) and a scattered population of about 100,000. He was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury at Westminster Abbey on 18 October 1894.
It was realised that the diocese must be subdivided, but it was not until 1904 that it was found possible to establish the diocese of Bunbury. Other dioceses were subsequently founded in the north-west and the eastern goldfields, and Riley became archbishop of Perth in 1914.
|Address:||St Georges Avenue, St George`s Cathedral, Perth, 6000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.955556|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Sacred to the memory of the Most Revd Charles Owen Leaver Riley DD. OBE. LLD. VD.
Born 26. 5. 54 Priest Ripon `79
Bishop of Perth `94 Archbishop 1914
Died 23 June 1929