Bishop Gilbert White Print Page
A crucifix commemorates Bishop Gilbert White.
In August 1900 Bishop Gilbert White was consecrated as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Carpentaria - claimed at that time to be the largest Anglican diocese in the world. It embraced the northern portion of Queensland, the Torres Strait Islands and the Northern Territory.
Bishop Gilbert White was consecrated as its first bishop and, in February 1901, he made his first visit to Palmerston and the Territory.
In 1915 he was transferred to the new Diocese of Willochra in South Australia where he served until 1925. He died at Epping in New South Wales in 1933.
|Address:||Harry Chan Avenue & Smith Street, Christ Church Cathedral, Darwin, 0800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.466111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1936|
To The Glory Of God
And In Loving Memory
Of Gilbert White
1st Bishop Of Carpentaria
1900 - 1915
These Ornaments Are Presented
To Christ Church Port Darwin
By Some Of His Relatives