Reverend Richard HillPrint Page
A marble tablet commemorates Reverend Richard Hill.
Reverend Richard Hill was ordained in London in 1813 and came to New South Wales to take up a chaplaincy in 1819. He worked initially as assistant to Reverend Cowper at St. Phillip`s Sydney, before taking charge of St. James from 1824.
Aside from his involvement in the Sydney CMS, Hill was secretary of the Benevolent Society, a founder of the New South Wales Society for promoting Christian Knowledge and the Aborigines, a member of the Philosophical Society of Australasia. and sat on the committees of the Bible Society and the Australian Religious Tract Society. He was also trustee of the Male and Female Orphan Institutions and the Church and School Lands Corporation.
Hill held property at Darlinghurst and in the Counties of Hunter and Northumberland. He died in the vestry of St. James on 30 May 1836.
|Address:||173 King Street, St James Church, Verger`s office, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.869486|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
To the memory of
THE REVEREND RICHARD HILL
The First Minister Of This Church, Who Expired Suddenly,
In The Performance Of His Duty, Within Its Walls,
On XXXth May, MDCCCXXXVI. Aged LIV.
Erected By His Friends And Congregation In Affectionate Rememberance Of His Unwearied Labors During Seventeen Years. His Serene Resignation Under No Ordinary Trials, His Blameless And Useful Life, His Prompt Attention To Every Call Of Distress, His Faithful And Fearless Reproof Of The Sinner, His Disregard Of Personal Ease When Any Work Of Charity Required His Services, And His Peculiar Ability In Engaging The Attention And Affection Of The Young, And Imbuing Them With A Deep Reverence For The Worlds Of Everlasting Salvation.
"Blessed Are Those Servants Whom, The Lord, When
He Cometh, Shall Find Watching."