Charles KempPrint Page
Marble tablet erected by parishioners commemorates Charles Kemp, Warden and trustee of St James Church who died in 1864.
Charles Kemp was one of the colony`s leading Anglican laymen. He served on many church committees, both parochial and diocesan. He was for some time a churchwarden of Holy Trinity, Miller`s Point, and later when he moved his home to Macquarie Street of St James`s, King Street, then the principal Anglican church in Sydney.
As a lay member of the Sydney Diocesan Committee, he took an active interest in the formation of new sees in New South Wales. He helped to found St Paul`s, the Anglican college within the University of Sydney in 1854 and later became a fellow.
|Address:||173 King Street, St James Church, South Wall No 35, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.869486|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Is Erected By
His Fellow Parishioners
In Memory Of
CHARLES KEMP ESQre M.L.C.
For Many Years
Warden And Trustee Of This
Who Died August 25th 1864
Aged 51 years.
A Kind Friend, An Upright Citizen
And A Devout And Benevolent