www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Miss Eva BrownePrint Page Print this page

14-October-2015
14-October-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A stained glass window erected by members of the church, friends and family commemorates Anne Evangeline (Eva) Browne who was a devoted member of the church and leader of the church choir.  

An unusually, large congregation assembled at Divine service in Holy Trinity Church last Sunday morning. Interest and curiosity had been awakened, as it was generally known that a sad yet complimentary incident was to be performed. From childhood the Misses Browne had been identified with the town's chief Episcopalian place of worship, mainly as choir members and Sunday School workers, and as they grew older blossomed into leader and organist respectively. Miss Eva Browne was well-known to the church membership of Holy Trinity.

By this large circle of friends, more particularly the surpliced choristers, she was loved and revered for her consistent Christian conduct, and as their leader. The special feature of this particular service was to seek to perpetuate her memory. To this end a memorial window of appropriate design had been prepared, subscribed for by the intimes of the deceased lady, and last Sunday forenoon was the fitting period arranged for its unveilment and dedication. The subjects represented in the window were fitting, as in a measure emblematical of the line of personal conduct in life deceased had sought to follow. The chief figures were "The Light of the World" and " Saint Cecilia."
Williamstown Chronicle (Vic), 25 February 1911.

Location

Address:Nelson Place & Pasco Street, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Williamstown, 3016
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.860138
Long: 144.902003
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th February, 1911
Front Inscription
(Across both windows) 

St. Cecilia     BEHOLD I stand at the door and knock

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING
MEMORY OF ANNE EVANGELINE BROWNE
FOR MANY YEARS LEADING CHORISTER
AND EARNEST WORKER IN THIS CHURCH
ENTERED INTO ETERNAL REST FEB 1st 1910
ERECTED BY THE CHOIR & PARISHIONERS
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design