Archdeacon Francis D. PrittPrint Page
The reredos in the church commemorates Archdeacon Francis Pritt who died in 1903.
The Reredos is behind the altar in the Resurrection Chapel, the altar being the original one for the cathedral, and which was moved to its current location in 1959. The Reredos was donated by the Ladies Guild also in 1959.
Dr. Barlow, Bishop of North Queensland, has appointed Rev. F. D. Pritt, M.A., to the Northern Archdeaconry of the diocese. Mr Pritt is a member of Trinity College, and took the degree of B.A. in 1864. and that of M.A. in 1867. He was deacon in 1864 and priest in 1865, and was curate and vicar of parishes in Lancashire from 1864 to 1889.
He became Vicar of North Rockhampton in 1889, and came to this diocese in 1894 to take charge of the missionary work among the Melanesians on the Herbert River. Mr Pritt has also been elected to the canonry in the gift of the clergy. He may be expected in Cairns with his dog in a few weeks time.
Morning Post (Cairns), 25th August 1898.
|Address:||36 Cleveland Terrace, St James Cathedral, Townsville, 4810|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.255459|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
This Reredos is erected to the glory of God and in loving memory of
Francis Brinkall Pritt. M.A.
Archdeacon of North Queensland, 1898 - 1903 and Canon of this Cathedral Church
The memory of the just is blessed.