Reverend Cecil John King & Reverend Copland KingPrint Page
Reverend Cecil John King was rector of the parish from 1891 to 1927. He died in 1938. His twin brother Copland King was a pioneering missionary of New Guinea.
In March 1892 Copland King was appointed head of the mission in New Guinea. The following month he resumed his work and concluded it twenty-six years later. In 1897 he declined an invitation to become the first bishop of New Guinea, believing that his talents were more suited to subordinate positions. With his flair for languages, he soon mastered the Wedauan tongue used around Dogura. He spent his time mainly in missionary journeys and translating the Scriptures and educational material. He died in 1918 and is buried in Camden cemetery.
The Rector and Churchwardens, St. John's, Camden, extending an invitation to the Mayor, aldermen and town clerk to be present on the occasion of the unveiling of the Memorial Window erected to the memory of the Revs. C. J. and Copeland (sic) King, at 4 p.m. on Sunday next, Dec. 1.— As many of the alderman as possible will attend.
Camden News (NSW), 28 November 1940.
|Address:||Menangle Road, St John`s Anglican Church, Camden, 2570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.056733|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st December, 1940|
GO • YE • INTO
•ALL • THE •
• WORLD •
& • PREACH
• HE • TOOK •
THEM • UP
• IN • HIS •
ARMS • AND
BLESSED • THEM
A • M • D • G • In • memory • of • the • Reverend • Cecil • John • King •M•A + Rector • of • this • Parish • 1891 -1927 +
and • his twin~brother • the • Reverend • Copeland (sic) • King . M•A a Pioneer • Missionary • of • New • Guinea