William Scott Print Page
Marble tablet erected by the congregation in memory of William Scott who was an active member of the church for over 40 years.
"He was sympathetic and whole-hearted, and manifested a majestic pity to victims of circumstances. He was a prince among men." A remarkable tribute was paid to the memory of the late William Scott by the Rev. Mr. Flockhart, M.A., in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on Sunday. For 40 years Mr. Scott was an active member of the congregation, when, on the fourth anniversary of his death, crowded the church to its doors for the unveiling of a handsome marble tablet — the gift of the people to the memory of a good man.
Mrs. James Fraser, a senior member of the church, and one who was associated with Mr. Scott for nearly four decades in church work, unveiled the tablet. Completed in beautifully grained marble, with two immense supporting pillars of the same material, the tablet is situated on the wall at the end of the church and against the officiating minister's right hand.
The Newcastle Sun (NSW), 25 August 1930.
|Address:||Auckland & Laman Streets, St Andrew`s Presbyterian Church, Newcastle, 2300|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.929217|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 24th August, 1930|
ERECTED BY THIS CONGREGATION
Grateful Remembrance Of
WHO WAS CALLED TO HIGHER SERVICE
23rd. AUGUST 1926.
SUPERINTENDENT OF THE SABBATH SCHOOL
CLERK OF SESSION & MEMBER OF THIS CHURCH
FOR 40 YEARS
A WORKMAN THAT NEEDETH NOT
TO BE ASHAMED. 2.Tim. 2.15