www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Bishop George HalfordPrint Page Print this page

20-October-2013
20-October-2013

Photographs supplied by John Huth
The youth and community centre at St. Alban's Anglican Church commemorates the diamond jubilee of the Bush Brotherhood and was erected in memory of Bishop George Dowglass Halford.

The Bush Brotherhood was a group of Anglican religious orders providing itinerant priests to minister to sparsely-settled rural districts in Australia. Halford emigrated to Australia to become the head of the St Andrew's Bush brotherhood in 1897 and then Archdeacon of Mitchell, Queensland, where he remained until becoming the Bishop of Rockhampton. In 1935 he was appointed canon missioner of the diocese of Brisbane. His supporter J. H. F. Fairfax bought him a house at Wilston, where Halford conducted a legendary ministry to men and boys. He died on 27 August 1948 at Grange, Brisbane, and was cremated.

Location

Address:Lovedale & Inglis Streets, St Alban's Anglican Church, Bishop Halford Institute, Wilston, 4051
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.429474
Long: 153.015899
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Religion

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 14th August, 1957
Front Inscription

A. M. D. G.

This Youth And Community Centre Commemorates
The Diamond Jubilee Of The Bush Brotherhood
And In Memory Of
GEORGE DOWGLASS HALFORD (Bishop) 

This Plaque Was Set By
The Governor-General Of Australia
His Excellency Field-Marshal Sir William Slim  
G.C.B.  G.C.M.G.  G.C.V.O.  G.B.E.  D.S.O.  M.C.
On The 14th August 1957.

REGINALD, Archbishop of Brisbane
Theo. C. Kernke  Rector.

Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design