Reverend Julian Tenison Woods (Tenison Woods Reserve) Print Page
The Tenison Woods Reserve commemorates the centenary of the death of Reverend Tenison Woods, co-founder of the Sisters of St Joseph.
Julian Edmund Tenison-Woods (1832 – 1889) was an English Catholic priest and geologist, active in Australia. With Mary MacKillop (later Saint Mary MacKillop), he co-founded the Congregation of Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart at Penola in 1866. He made regular long journeys over his large parish and systematically visited every place where he would find a member of his church. The climate improved his health, he was free from anxieties and passed through 10 happy years. Woods joined an exploring party that was starting for the interior and began a methodical study of geology and mineralogy. After four years as director of Catholic education, Woods continued working as a scientist and missionary priest in New South Wales, Tasmania and Queensland.
|Address:||Reynolds Street, Tenison Woods Reserve, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.748374|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1889|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1989|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th October, 1989|
TENISON WOODS` RESERVE
TO COMMEMORATE THE CENTENARY OF THE DEATH
- OF -
REV. JULIAN E. TENISON WOODS
1832 - 1889
CO-FOUNDER OF SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH
PRIEST AND SCIENTIST
PIONEER OF CATHOLIC EDUCATION IN AUSTRALIA
15TH OCTOBER 1989