Reverend Julian Tenison WoodsPrint Page
Memorial stone of the chapel at St Joseph`s Convent erected in memory of Reverend Julian Tenison Woods.
Julian Edmund Tenison-Woods (1832 – 1889) was an English Catholic priest and geologist, active in Australia. With Mary MacKillop (later Saint Mary MacKillop), he co-founded the Congregation of Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart at Penola in 1866 dedicated to the Catholic education of the children of the poor and to other pressing social needs.
In the presence of a large crowd on Sunday, 21st ult., the foundation-stone of St. Joseph`s Convent building additions, Goulburn, which are expected to cost £10,000, was officially laid and blessed by the Bishop of Goulburn, Most Rev. Dr. McGuire. It was announced by Very Rev. Father Deegan, Adm., that £5603 was in hand, £5000 of this amount having accumulated over a period of years in preparation for the chapel. It had been raised principally by subscriptions from personal friends of the Sisters of St. Joseph and from entertainments, while the late Mr. Dennis Kelly had left £700 to the Sisters. The remainder had been derived from donations, including the collection taken up during the afternoon.
The foundation-laying ceremony marked the beginning of one of the most important projects undertaken in recent years in the Goulburn Diocese by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph. The new chapel to be erected will be dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows. One feature will be seven small altars, built in semi-circular fashion around the main altar representing the seven Dolours of the Blessed Virgin. The chapel will be situated directly behind the convent extensions, which will be of two storeys.
The Catholic Press (Sydney), 2nd May 1940.
|Address:||Reynolds Street, St Joseph`s Convent, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.74774|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st April, 1940|
THIS MEMORIAL STONE OF THE CHAPEL
ERECTED IN MEMORY OF
THE REV. JULIAN TENISON WOODS ,
WAS SOLEMNLY BLESSED BY
HIS LORDSHIP MOST REV.T.B.McGUIRE, D.D.,
BISHOP OF GOULBURN,
ON SUNDAY, 21ST APRIL 1940