Ernest CampbellPrint Page
The clock was one of six turret clocks manufactured by London clockmaker Thwaites and Reed in 1828 for consignment to the fledgling Colony for use on public buildings. Commonly referred to as the 'Richmond Town Clock', it was installed at St Luke's in 1922, having first been used in the original St David's Church at the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets, Hobart.
The clock was not installed in the new St David's Cathedral when it was constructed in 1874 and it gathered dust for some fifty years before being given to St Luke's in 1922 by the Dean and the Cathedral Chapter. The clocktower was restored in 2004. The project created such interest in the Richmond community that a group of some thirty residents formed a Clockwinders Guild and a roster to attend to the twice-weekly winding of the clock.
|Address:||30 Torrens Street, St Luke`s Anglican Church, Richmond, 7025|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.738188|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
To the glory of God and in loving memory of `Ernie`
Ernest L. Campbell
1910 - 2005
In grateful acknowledgement of his love for St Luke`s Church and this clock.