William George HilliardPrint Page
The Right Reverend William George Hilliard was the 5th Anglican Bishop of Nelson whose Episcopate spanned a 6 year period in the first half of the 20th century. He was born in Sydney on 29 May 1887, educated at the University of Sydney and ordained in 1912. He first worked as a curate at Dulwich Hill. He was inducted as Rector of St John's Ashfield on 23 June 1916, and served there until 31 October 1926, when he accepted an appointment as Rector of St Clement's, Marrickville. From 1928 to 1934 he was Headmaster of Trinity Grammar School, Summer Hill when he was elevated to the Episcopate. He resigned his See in 1940 and became Rector of St John’s, Parramatta and Coadjutor Bishop of Sydney. A prominent Freemason, he died on 1 February 1960.
|Address:||George & Bathurst Streets, St Andrews Cathedral, Sydney, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.874017|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
IN HONOURED MEMORY OF
WILLIAM GEORGE HILLIARD M.A. Th.D.
BISHOP COADJUTOR OF SYDNEY AND
RECTOR OF ST JOHN`S PARRAMATTA 1940 -1960
HEADMASTER OF TRINITY GRAMMAR SCHOOL
AND FIFTH BISHOP OF NELSON, NEW ZEALAND
HIS FAITH COURAGE AND LOYALTY, HIS GIFTS OF ORATORY AND INSPIRATION, HIS WIDE RANGE OF CONTACT WITH MEN AND AFFAIRS MADE HIM AN ILLUSTRIOUS SON AND SERVANT OF THE CHURCH IN AUSTRALIA.
His Ashes And Those Of His Wife Dorothy Lie Behind This Plaque