Lieutenant Colonel Henry William Murray V.C.Print Page
A portrait bust commemorates Lieutenant-Colonel Henry William Murray who was awarded the Victoria Cross (V.C.) during World War One. The information plaque is positioned in the park near the Flinders Highway.
Henry William "Harry" Murray VC, CMG, DSO & Bar, DCM (1 December 1880 – 7 January 1966) was an Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest decoration for gallantry "in the face of the enemy" that can be awarded to members of the British and Commonwealth armed forces. Decorated several times throughout his service in the First World War, Murray rose from the rank of private to lieutenant colonel in three-and-a-half years. He is often described as the most highly decorated infantry soldier of the British Empire during the First World War.
In February 1917, Murray commanded a company during the battalion's attack on the German position of Stormy Trench. During the engagement, the company was able to capture the position and repulse three fierce counter-attacks, with Murray often leading bayonet and bombing charges himself. For his actions during the battle, Murray was awarded the Victoria Cross.
In April 1928 Murray bought Glenlyon station, Richmond, a 74,000 acre (29,947 ha) grazing property, where he lived for the rest of his life. Murray enlisted for service during the Second World War and commanded the 26th Battalion in north Queensland until August 1942. He retired from the army in early 1944. Murray died of a heart attack following a car accident on 7 January 1966.
|Address:||Flinders Highway, Jack Brown Lions Park, Richmond, 4822|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.734353|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-February-1917|
|Actual Event End Date:||05-February-1917|