Earl KitchenerPrint Page
A monument commemorates the occasion when Lord Kitchener reviewed troops from Fort Lytton in 1910. Lord Kitchener was well known for his command of British troops during the Boer War in South Africa in 1900, and this memorial, and Kitchener Park located on the other side of the railway line, are the only Queensland public mementos of his visit to Australia. Lord Kitcheners visit was made at the invitation of Australia in order that the young country might have the benefit of the great soldier's advice in preparing a scheme for the defence of the island continent.
The original cairn was dedicated on the 7th December 1929 by the Governor, Sir John Goodwin. When the cairn was demolished in 1963, the memorial stone was relocated to its present position.
The crisp swing past the saluting base at Wynnum in 1910, when the late Earl Kitchener took the salute of upwards of 3000 of Queensland's troops was commemorated on Saturday afternoon, when his Excellency the Governor (Sir John Goodwin) unveiled the massive Camp Mountain granite cairn, erected by the Wynnum and Manly sub-branch of the R.S.S.I.L.A on the site where "K of K" stood nearly 20 years ago. The ceremony formed part of the league's programme for the afternoon, which also included the official opening of the new Memorial Club, erected at a cost of £780, on the flank of the cairn.
The cairn, bearing the simple inset inscription on a 3ft granite slab, "In Memory of Earl Kitchener, who, from this spot, reviewed Queensland troops, January 3, 1910," was then unveiled by his Excellency. Sir John Goodwin emphasised the great honour it was to him to perform the unveiling of the memorial to the late Earl Kitchener, with whom he had been acquainted, and who was one of the finest soldiers England had ever known. Pipe Major J Lawrie then played the lament, "When the Battle's Over."
The Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 9 December 1929.
|Address:||Colina Street & Tingal Road, Wynnum, 4178|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.443103|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||3-January-1910|
|Approx. Event End Date:||3-January-1910|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 2nd May, 1992|
In Memory Of
Who from this spot
Reviewed Queensland troops
Jan 3rd 1910
THIS GRANITE TABLET WAS ORIGINALLY INCORPORATED INTO
A STONE CAIRN AND LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES
SOUTH-EAST OF THIS POSITION. IT MARKED THE LOCATION
WHERE LORD KITCHENER REVIEWED TROOPS FROM LYTTON
DURING HIS TOUR OF AUSTRALIA IN 1910 AND WAS
ORIGINALLY UNVEILED BY THE GOVERNOR SIR JOHN GOODWIN
ON 7TH DECEMBER, 1929.
FOLLOWING DEVELOPMENT OF THE SITE IN 1963, THE CAIRN
WAS DEMOLISHED BUT THE MEMORIAL STONE WAS LATER
RECOVERED AND RELOCATED TO ITS PRESENT POSITION BY
THE BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL.
IT WAS UNVEILED BY LORD MAYOR ALDERMAN J.G.SOORLEY
ON 2ND MAY, 1992.