James C. RobertsPrint Page
An obelisk erected by the past and present students of the Carlton College in memory of Lieutenant James Clark Roberts of the First Victorian contingent who was wounded at Pink Hill on 12 February 1900 and died of his wounds at Rensburg the next day. Roberts used to play in Royal Park when he was a boy.
Lieutenant James Charles Roberts was a son of Mr. J.H. Roberts, of Rushworth. He was educated at Carlton College, and afterwards went to Ormond, where he finished an engineering course in 1896. He joined the University corps of officers in 1894, getting his commission in the Mounted Rifles in 1898. After finishing his engineering course he went on to the land for three years but re-entered the University as a medical student.
The Argus, 17 February 1900, p.13
Information supplied by Brigid Cooper
Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School
|Address:||The Avenue & Macarthur Road, Royal Park, Parkville, 3052|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.789228|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||12-February-1900|
|Actual Event End Date:||13-February-1900|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th February, 1900|
Erected in memory of Lieutenant James C. Roberts who was killed in the South African Boer War and who played as a boy in this park