John SoundyPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

A hall commemorates Jack (John Trevor ) Soundy, son of the Lord Mayor of Hobart who lost his life in World War Two.

He was the co-pilot of the 13 Squadron, U.S.A.A.C., North American Mitchell, 41-12483 which departed Charters Towers at 0930 hours on 7 January 1943, to deliver supplies to Port Moresby in New Guinea. Nothing more was ever heard from the aircraft.

At an Anzac memorial service in the Hobart Baptist Church this evening, the Governor (Admiral Sir Hugh Binney) unveiled a memorial tablet to the late W/O. John Trevor Soundy, older son of the Lord Mayor of Hobart and Mrs. Soundy. W/O. Soundy joined the R.A.A.F. in 1940, and served as a pilot. He was reported missing on January 7,1943 during operations over New Guinea. In its reconstruction plan, the church proposes to build a "Jack Soundy Memorial Room," in which will be hung the scrolls of honor of those who fought in the first and second world wars.
Advocate (Burnie), 29th April 1946



Address:284 - 290 Elizabeth Street, St Johns Baptist Church, North Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.876877
Long: 147.318606
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Actual Event STart Date:07-January-1943
Actual Event End Date:07-January-1943


Front Inscription

Jack Soundy Memorial Hall

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design