Dr. David CrollPrint Page
Croll Memorial Precinct honours Dr David Croll who established a medical practice in the district and became a well known identity. The precinct contains the Kokoda Stone and Kokoda Plaque, bronze plaques to the RSL, RAN, AMF & RAAF, an Australian Remembers plaque and flagpole. The precinct has been the centre for commemorative services since 1973.
Dr Croll served in both World Wars and in World War Two organised 112 Military Hospital which later became known as Greenslopes Repatriation Hospital. He was founder of the British Medical Agency which was formed to assist doctors in their work. He was awarded a C.B.E. for his services overseas in World War One. He died in 1948.
Dr Croll and his wife bequeathed their home to the Sherwood RSL Sub-Branch in 1954 and it was dedicated as the Croll Memorial Centre. The title tranferred to the new premises at Corinda in 1967 AND THE PRECINCT WAS EXTENDED IN 1971.
|Address:||Clewley Street, Corinda, 4075|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.537771|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
CROLL MEMORIAL PRECINCT
Colonel David Croll, CBE, VD, mid, MB (Syd), (1885-1948) served in both World Wars, was an eminent Queensland doctor-soldier, and a staunch supporter of the RSL. His wife was a Nursing sister in the AIF in World War One.
Dr and Mrs Croll bequeathed their family home and surgery to the Sherwood sub-branch in 1954. The building became the sub-branch headquarters and was dedicated as The Croll Memorial Centre. In 1967 the title transferred to the new sub-branch premises at Corinda.
Following various changes over the years , the title now attaches to this site in front of the The Harry Dalziel VC Centre as The Croll Memorial Precinct -opened in August 2006 by Major John Pearn , AM, RFD, former Surgeon General to the ADF.
THE PRICE OF LIBERTY IS ETERNAL VIGILANCE
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE OPENING OF THE EXTENDED CROLL MEMORIAL PRECINCT BY SIR GEORGE FRANCIS REUBEN NICKLIN K.C.M.G., M.M., L.L.D. ON 17TH APRIL 1971.