Sir Herbert Henry Schlink Print Page
Bust by Andor Meszaros commemorates Sir Herbert Henry Schlink (1883-1962), gynaecologist and hospital administrator.
In 1922 Herbert became Honorary Gynaecological Surgeon to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Unlike many of his contemporaries, he had not sought a similar post in other hospitals, always believing in the principle of “one man – one hospital” as the best for the individual and for the institution.
In 1925 he was elected a Director of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital becoming Vice-Chairman of the Board of Management seven years later. In 1934, he became Chairman, an office he continued to hold for 28 years. It was in this capacity that his extraordinary powers of vision, tenacity and persuasion, ably assisted by the Board, transformed the Hospital from a small unit of some 600 beds to a great city hospital of over 1400 beds
Herbert Schlink founded the King George V Hospital Memorial Hospital for Mothers and Babies in 1958. As a gynaecologist, Herbert pioneered the use of cobalt ray therapy in treating pelvic cancer and instigated the systematic follow-up of cancer patients.
|Address:||Missenden Road, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, 2050|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.889753|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Andor Meszaros|