Henry Grattan Douglass Print Page
Henry Grattan Douglass (1790-1865), doctor of medicine and public servant , is commemorated at the University of Sydney by his coat of arms in stone on the south side of the entrance to the Great Hall, and in a stained glass window in the south porch of the main building.
Douglass arrived in Sydney in May 1821 with his family and a letter of introduction from Earl Bathurst to Governor Lachlan Macquarie, who placed him in charge of the general hospital at Parramatta. In addition to his hospital work at Parramatta, he was superintendent of the Female Factory and had a private practice.
Douglass played an early part in the founding of Sydney University. He was elected to fill a casual vacancy in 1853 and upheld, without much success, a policy of expansion. He was a member of the medical faculty committee and remained a senator until 1865.
|Address:||City Road, University of Sydney, Camperdown, 2050|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.889419|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.