Dr. Tony Lopes & Matron Jan HalbischPrint Page
A plaque commemorates Dr. Lopes and Matron Halbisch as a tribute to two professionals who gave so much to the local community over many years.
Dr Lopes was the resident General Practitioner from 1952-1988. During this 36-year-period he visited the hospital everyday, and for 25 of those years he worked as an “honorary”doctor at the hospital, meaning that, until the advent of medicare in the late 1970’s, his work was unpaid.
By all accounts, Jan Halbisch was an equally as dedicated professional, and a vital and active member of the community for the 30 years she was in Brewarrina. Matron Halbisch would think nothing of working 12 hour shifts, seven days a week, and was always “on-call” for midwifery and emergencies, and whatever else was needed.
Dr Lopes and Matron Halbisch delivered up to 120 babies a year, with the help of Dr Ted Coolican from Bourke in an emergency.
|Address:||56 Doyle Street, Brewarrinna Hospital , Brewarrina, 2839|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.961992|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 20th November, 2011|